Join our 8th Annual NEON Festival Interactive Art Competition
Submittals Due: Saturday, September 23 2023, 11:59PM
Show Date: Friday, October 20, 2023, from 5:00 PM – 10:00 PM
We are thrilled to announce an interactive art competition hosted by 757 Makerspace, in collaboration with the NEON District and Tidewater Burners, as part of the 8th annual NEON Festival. This year’s theme, “ILLUMINATE,” invites artists to explore the mesmerizing interplay of light, color, and technology in their interactive artworks.
Calling All Creatives!
All submitted art pieces must be interactive, engaging spectators and fulfilling their artistic purpose through active participation. We welcome artists, makers, and creatives of all levels of experience to submit their ideas, regardless of professional background. Examples of interactive work below.
Winners will receive the following prizes:
First Place: $600
Second Place: $400
Third Place: $300
*All winners will also receive a quarterly membership to 757 Makerspace ($460 value).
How It Works
Sixteen artists will be chosen from the submissions to showcase their work outside at the Cofer Lot on W Olney Road during the 2023 NEON Festival. What makes this competition even more exciting is that the public will decide the winners through on-site voting during the event.
The competition is open for submissions now through 11:59pm on Saturday, September 23rd. Submissions are to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. THERE IS NO SUBMISSION FEE.
Full details: www.757makerspace.com/neon
- Submittal Support, Help & Q&A Session in-person 757 Makerspace NFK 6:30PM, September 20th
- Proposal Submission Deadline: 11:59PM, September 23rd
- Submission Announcements: Tuesday, September 26th
- 757 Makerspace NFK Project Build Week: Wednesday, October 11th – Thursday, October 19th
- Free access to use the tools, space and equipment at 757 Makerspace.
- Art Competition Installation: Friday, October 20th, between 12:00 PM and 4:00 PM
- Art Competition Exhibition: Friday, October 20th, 5:00 PM – 10:00 PM at the Cofer Lot in the NEON (Winners announced at 9:00 PM)
- Art Exhibition Project De-Installation: By Noon on October 21st
Examples of Interactive Projects
- Interactive Light Installation: Create an installation where viewers can manipulate the colors and patterns of lights using motion sensors or touch-sensitive panels.
- Digital Projection Mapping: Use projection mapping technology to transform a building or object into a dynamic canvas that responds to user input or environmental cues.
- Augmented Reality (AR) Art: Develop an AR app that overlays digital artwork onto the physical world, allowing users to interact with and modify the art through their smartphones or AR glasses.
- Kinetic Sculpture: Construct a sculpture that moves or changes shape based on the movement of viewers or environmental factors like wind or sound.
- Interactive Sound Installation: Design an art piece that produces music or soundscapes in response to the movements or interactions of people within its vicinity.
- Virtual Reality (VR) Experience: Create a virtual reality environment where users can immerse themselves in an interactive artistic world, manipulating elements within it.
- Interactive Painting or Mural: Paint a mural or canvas with conductive paint and sensors, allowing viewers to touch different areas to trigger sounds, lights, or animations.
- Interactive Performance Art: Organize a live performance where artists and audience members engage in interactive storytelling, improvisation, or participatory art-making.
These are just a few examples that illustrate the diversity of interactive art, showcasing how technology, movement, and audience engagement can be integrated to create captivating and immersive artistic experiences. We look forward to seeing your illuminating creations at the 8th annual NEON Festival Interactive Art Competition.